Tuesday, October 02, 2007

A crafty way to wile away autumn evenings...

I enjoy checking out A Storybook Life blog. They've got lots of great ideas for diy crafts, frugal/simple living, recipes - in short, a lot of the stuff I'm into! :) They have this fantastic post on Penny Rugs that the crafters among you should definitely check out.

I hadn't heard of this craft before, but it sounds like a lot of fun! In the same way that quilting was once a frugal way to use worn out clothes to create warm coverings for beds, this craft used scrap pieces of wool felt and old wool hats to create something decorative for the home. And, as with quilting, these days people take the art to whole new levels with the staggering variety of colours only dreamed of by crafters in the 1800s. :)

I smell a Christmas craft present idea!!!

Anyway, check out the article here, it's got lots of info (including why they're called penny rugs!), and links to some great patterns to get you started.

I got the image of a penny rug from PrimitivePeddler.com, who have a nice variety of completed penny rugs available for purchase, too.

Let me know if you try your hand at Penny Rugs!

No comments: